About a week ago, a co-worker and a former co-worker e-mailed me with an idea for a musical. Because I liked the idea, I figured I’d send them a song about the day after the events it might be based on.
They both liked it, and one of them wrote back just after midnight with ten ideas for songs. I served back with one just before I went to bed around 2 a.m., woke up and started playing around with the other ideas.
I think my personal best might’ve been three songs in a day, but something about the challenge in filling and fleshing out one on the basis of an image, a title or a possible plot scenario was pretty stimulating.
The first five came pretty easily on the fly. For the next two, I used a couple of made-up temp tracks that fit with what I was writing. I don’t know in what form they’ll wind up used, but it’s almost beside the point. For twenty-odd hours’ work, it was exactly the way I’d want to spend one of several recent days off.